Bible Study will be held on Zoom and in person. The Zoom link can be found at this link or through the following ID and Passcode:
Meeting ID: 893 3347 1019
Hebrews 9:11-14 – Christ appeared as High Priest
Why choose to use the word Christ in this section?
In what way(s) was Christ greater and more perfect?
There is a contrast here between old (vs. 1-10) and new (vs. 11-14).
- “tent” in 9:2, 3, 6, 8, 11
- “blood” in 9:7, 12a, 12b, 13, 14
- “service/serving” in 9:1, 6, 9, 14
- “offering” in 9:7, 9, 14
- “enter” in 9:6 and 9:12
- “perfect” in 9:9 and “purity/purify” in 9:13 and 9:14
- “flesh” in 9:10, 13
- the Holy “Spirit” in 9:8, 14
Another way to see this is earthly and heavenly. The earthly, finite, imperfect cannot attain heavenly, eternal, perfect.
Made with hands Not made with hands
Blood of goats and calves His own blood/blood of Christ
Purification of the flesh Purify our conscience
Hebrews 9:15-22 – “Old covenant” vs. “New Covenant”
Mediator – one who mediates between two parties to remove a disagreement or reach a common goal
When did the “old covenant” end? What caused it to end?
When will this “new covenant” end? Why?
What did the sprinkling of the blood do?
Does this effect how we see communion Sunday? What is happening in tabernacle terms?
Compare, “This is the blood of the covenant that God commanded for you” Ex. 24:8 vs Matt 26:28
“This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.”
The Role of the High Priest on the Day of Atonement and of Christ as High Priest in the Heavenly Tent
|The High Priest on Earth
|Christ as High Priest in Heaven
|Entry into the Most Holy Place
|• Entry into the second tent (the inner shrine) by himself once a year (9:7)
• Entry into the holy places annually (9:25)
|• Entry once for all into the greater and more perfect tent, not handmade (9:11–12; cf. 9:27–28)
• Entry into heaven rather than a handmade copy of it (9:24)
|Goats and bulls (9:12–13)||Jesus as the sacrifice (9:26; cf. 7:27)|
|Purpose of the sacrifice
|• On account of his own sins (9:7; cf. 7:27)
• On account of the people’s sins of ignorance (9:7; cf. 7:27)
|• To obtain eternal redemption (9:12)
• For the annulment of all sin (9:26)
• To bear the sins of many people (9:28)
|• Blood for himself and the people (9:7)
• Blood that is not his own (9:25)
|• His own blood (9:12)
• Himself (7:27; 9:14, 25; cf. the offering of his body in 10:10; the curtain of his flesh in 10:20)
|Result of the offering
|Purification of the earthly copies and antitypes of the heavenly places: the Holy of Holies with the ark and the mercy seat and the Holy Place with the altar for incense (9:23–24)||• Purification for sins (1:3)
• Purification of the heavenly places (9:23b)
• Purification of the conscience for service to the living God (9:14)
|The purpose of entry into the inner shrine
|Appearance before God in the handmade holy places on earth on behalf of himself and the people (9:7, 24)||Appearance before the face of God in heaven on our behalf (9:24)|